I’m Going Random a Day Early, Go Ahead, Call the Blogging Police

megsam

Unless you read all the way to the end, this photo is random too

That I’d written a blog post on a Monday morning was great. The reality of my netbook battery dying just as my finger was about to press “save,” spelled “potential turning point.”

Suddenly there was a distinct possibility that I would quit NaNoWriMo, blogging, flossing and cooking dinner.

When I didn’t know I had ADHD those inevitable messy parts of daily life would take me on, and most often, win. I accepted it as normal that I would jet over to the opposite end of zen, and mentally torture myself with loathing words such as, “Why bother? You’re going to eventually fail anyway!”

But today I’m taking charge of this moment, which pulses with potential disaster thanks to my deleted post (which, by the way, was GREAT). Instead of quitting everything, I’m “going random.” By Tuesday, the traditional day of blogging randomness, I plan to have moved forward. Besides, I’m not feeling the least bit musical, which we all know would be more appropriate, because in the blogging realm it is Musical Monday.  But I’ve broken up with appropriate.

“Going random” isn’t quitting. It is simply a tempered blogging equivalent of “going postal.” *Repeat*

I dedicate this post in honor of all bloggers and writers who have ever hit “delete” by mistake. I’m in week two of NaNoWriMo and for some reason that may be misguided, I am determined to still post here every few days. This isn’t because I think anyone is waiting out there with baited breath or anything ego-maniacal like that, but because of my history.

My history practically dictates that anything I don’t keep doing, whether it be writing, knitting a sweater, or painting my toenails,  I absolutely can’t set aside if I ever want to finish.  My focus can be intense, but once lost, stays lost. I’m an optimistic type who is great at starting projects, but when faced with the teeniest and inevitable roadblocks of life, have no problem swinging immediately to extreme and hopeless pessimism. It’s an internal combustion. Unless it’s the toenail painting, no one except me ever notices.

I’ m pretty sure my husband is in South Africa right now, but he may be in South America. What’s the difference? We’re his family and we are here. And what’s the difference to him, when every hotel and conference room looks alike, and whenever I talk to him it’s raining where he is? Global business travel: Way overrated. Did you know that Belarus is both really flat and east of Poland?

I’m moving forward with NaNoWriMo. Spitting out the first draft of a novel in such a rush is exciting, in a way, even though what I’m writing isn’t. As tempted as I am to put on my editor’s hat and rewrite, meddle and analyze, I don’t have the time. Is it a really bad novel at this point? Heck, yeah.

The weather has turned fall-like and gorgeous around here the past few days. In a burst of inspiration, “Sparkle” (that’s the blog name of my younger daughter, not of the horse she is pictured with here. The horse’s name is “Sam), replaced all the buttons on last year’s jacket with a funky array of new ones, each one different. I love it! What do you think?

Have a great week, and please consider yourself warned: plug in your laptops and do your best to avoid “delete.”

Comments

I find when I’m in a writing mode, I end up blog more, not less. It is one of those oxymorons. Or something.

I hit delete too much. So things get all bottled up and gassy.

One of these days I will just break it off the keyboard. But since I’m such a terrible typer I will need a very patient editor.

2. Margo says

“blogging” is a weird word and “blog” more sounds better. “Blog more, less filling” sounds kinda like a beer commercial.

This was fun! Not because of the topic, but because of your stilish take. You’re a major character in this story, btw, though we love seeing your daughter and her horse. You have stamina, smarts, sassiness, soulfulness. And that’s just in the “S” family.

I thought for one minute about doing the novel. Heck no, I concluded. I have a couple of novels needing work, I don’t need to start a third.

Unlike you, I suffered from too much focus. A Type A Personality with a hidden desire to become the opposite. Now that I’m retired, I can switch back and forth as necessary.

Margo, I am reading youand cheering you on in the way background, for NaNoWriMo. I have the opposite challenge: A 14-15 page proposal that has to be well-crafted and well-written. And easy to put off another day. I am trying to let the spirit of NaNoWriMo in so that I could at least have a rough draft to edit! Please tell me to get going.

• Margo says

Turn off that computer! Right now! Rear end in chair! GO! You can do it, girl! Call it NaProWriMo and if you don’t do it there will be no turkey on Thanksgiving. (check out this useful, and kind of funny software I’ve been using, it’s called

WRITE OR DIE

and is only $10

I like all the funky buttons! I’ll bet her personality really is sparkling!

I let roadblocks stop me all the time and I think I put the roadblocks in place on purpose. Sometimes I unconsciously know I do it, sometimes I consciously know, but either way, it’s a disservice to myself.

It pains me to hear about your unsaved and lost writings. That would be enough to make me quit. Really. I’m glad you’re forging ahead! You inspire me.

• Margo says

I know about putting up those roadblocks! Losing a blog post wasn’t a big deal, really. Now if had been my whole nanowrimo effort so far – I’d probably be filling out job applications over at the mall.

I get it. My hard drive crashed just as I was finishing my last novel.

I had to borrow hubby’s computer for the weekend. And he thinks he needs it to check football scores. Hah!

Funky buttons rule! I used to have a massive collection! I love the coat. And I am glad you broke up with ‘appropriate’ I broke up with that idiot years ago. We just never got along!

“I’m an optimistic type who is great at starting projects, but when faced with the teeniest and inevitable roadblocks of life, have no problem swinging immediately to extreme and hopeless pessimism.”

This sounds way too familiar. This is probably why my book is still sitting in an array of folders on my hard drive and not on store shelves.

Also, yes, I did know that about Belarus. And the capital is Minsk. Geography nerd = me

Thank you Margo for the link to Write or Die. My son (11) and I tried it out the online version with a boy superhero story. He hated to see the screen turn pink and then red! I will have to get this for National Professional Writing Month.

You probably won’t believe me, but the very first thing I thought when I got here was I ABSOLUTELY LOVE ALL THE DIFFERENT BUTTONS ON THAT JACKET. I am so stealing that idea.

LOL, the minute I saw the picture my eye went immediately to the buttons and was planning on commenting, “Sparkle, LOVE the jacket!” And then I read on through your post to the end, ha ha. Man, she is SUCH a girl after my own heart. Miss her blogging, too! (not that I have room to talk!)

I was actually tempted to comment on the picture before reading the post. I LOVE the buttons. I was guessing that it was purchased from Anthropologie.

I did the exact same thing yesterday (deleting something by accident – not sewing buttons on a coat), and I had to stop myself from howling and swearing in front of my three year olds. Instead I waved my hands around, made a silly face and yelled, “I’m soooo mad right now!” So they thought it was funny and I got to *kind of* throw a fit. Win-half win. But I’m very silver lining/glass half full about things and figure it was for the best – it was an e-mail to some friends venting about a negative comment I got on a post yesterday. I specifically didn’t “go there” publically because I hate online bickering. But the e-mail? What’s the difference – why bother? Better that it just went away.

I’ve hit the delete button on accident and I have had some little child of mine crawl under my desk and pull the plug on the computer. That he has lived another 14 years is amazing considering he unplugged what was at least 35 pages of work that had not been saved.

I also find that when I am hit by the inspiration bug and can write for long stretches at a time I have the ability to blog more as well. I only wish I could type faster.

15. Sparkle (the daughter pictured with horse) says

Ok, my jacket being misstaken for anthropologie jacket = highlight of my day. Thank you!

16. Sparkle (the daughter pictured with horse) says

I noticed a chip in your toenail polish. *snicker*

OMG, you and I are two peas in a pod.

Thanks for this. You are awesome!

I noticed a chip in your toenail polish. *snicker*

OMG, you and I are two peas in a pod.

Thanks for this. You are awesome!