Convalescing the Old Fashioned Way

578This first weekend in December, I would rather be shopping, but thanks to recent illness and the economy, instead I find myself in the “building up process.” For me this means rest, fluids, vitamins and minerals, and wearing fuzzy socks with skid proof bottoms.

This ad implies that the “building up process” meant something much more appealing back in the early 20th century. I have no idea what “O-H Extract of Malt” was, but to the modern ear,  “malt” implies distilled alcohol -or I at least like to think it does. Therefore the only reasonable conclusion to be drawn  is that the young convalescent featured here is walking on a city street with a large, open container of beer.

Back in the day alcoholic beverages were considered a major component in any healing regimen. Yes, I would rather be walking around Bourbon Street style, with a open bottle than wearing fuzzy socks. Oh to be born before the day when the American Lung Association realized alcohol consumption caused dehydration!

According to everyone’s favorite source of dubious historical fact, Wikipedia, the hot toddy was invented in the 18th century as a way to make Scotch whiskey more appealing to women. Believed to possess the power to cure everything from the common cold and the flu, to alleviating pain and suffering associated with “that time of the month,” Scotch was an elixir of which the fairer sex must not be deprived.  By adding heat and various sweet and fruity ingredients to that nasty boy drink, convincing the female specimen was easy.

With husband off for the day in Atlanta to see the Eagles/Falcon’s game through the miracle of flight, and inspired by a roaring remote control fire,  adequate hydration via non alcoholic beverages and warm feet, I have decided something. Today I’m going to adopt the best of both old and new.

It is highly recommended by my personal lung association that I add a hot toddy to my multi-pronged approach.  Anyone have grandma’s hot spiked cider recipe?

Comments

I read/heard something not too long ago that the hot toddy actually works — something about the chemical composition making up something like hydrogen peroxide! Ouch! I don’t remember the *original* recipe. Shucks! Feel better soon!

I thought all liquor was good for us?!? [hic] I coulda swore that’s what I read … [giggle] Now I’m gonna rehydrate with my own hot toddy. It’s COLD in SE Georgia today! :)

There is no way you can convince me that I will get dehydrated by drinking!!! You just have to drink enough of it to not care anymore.
    Picturing that little girl walking down the road with a big ol’ beer just brightened my day.
    Take care…hope you feel better soon,
    Suz

Take care…hope you feel better soon,
    Suz

7. susie says

I love this picture! Her expression says it all. I think anything HOT is good, regardless of alcoholic content. S.

8. susie says

Well, I have to agree with you, although I am not really much of a drinker in my regular life (only because alcohol doesn’t have the same taste and effect on me as hot fudge) lol

My Mom uses a recipe of cough medicine with “Old Charter” (i think that is bourbon), glycerin (preferably vegetable glycerin, and the glycerin is a lung healer), and something to sweeten, either old fashioned rock candy crystals, or the honey/lemon thing.

Toss it all in a bottle and get it mixed together nicely. She gives out a big teaspoon full, and it tends to do wonders.

That and plenty of sleep.

Feel better!!! :)

That and plenty of sleep.

Feel better!!! :)

I have a great hot buttered rum recipe. I didn’t know that about the hot toddy–through most of history, women were discouraged from drinking. Only whores drank booze. Polite women drank tea.