Fresh Furry Start to the New Decade

4172828496_96ed9718e6_z

Apparently there was a time in the 1930s when being draped in a snowy-white cute-but-dead fox, complete with an intact head, was considered the epitome of high fashion. My daughters were relieved to hear that this distant trend wasn’t from some other back-in-the-day decade like the 1970s. Both decades are the “olden days” to them, but I’m almost positive they know that I wasn’t alive in the 30s.

This week Dave and I were talking about how ready we were for the first decade of this century to be over. I don’t know about you, but we don’t think it was quite the greatest we’ve ever experienced.

With a trace of hurt in their eyes, both daughters were quick to say they thought the zeros were great. As parents we had forgotten to note that the oughts (aughts?) were the first entire decade of their existence.  I was quickly convinced that the  OOs really rocked.

How do you think we ought to refer to the now past tense decade anyway? And I’m talking about aesthetics here. I don’t care about being technically correct anymore than I am concerned with fashionable correctness in the 1930s. If you are among those party poopers who say  next decade doesn’t start until 2011, that’s fine with me.

The woman featured above with the entire fox around her neck was undoubtedly cold.

What I’m trying to say is I look forward to a new decade where people will lighten up. Not everything is relative, but I firmly believe this:

We shouldn’t judge others until we have walked around with their dead fox around our necks.  I’m not just talking to you, PETA. This statement is profound, especially coming from a slightly hungover person.

Happy New Year! Bonne Annee! Behave, break bad or whatever the heck you need to do. Respect your gray areas and the gray areas of others. And be sure not to forget to eat your black eyed peas.

Comments

Margo,

Happy New Year to you and yours. Who cares what we call the last decade?!!! It’s over. Lessons learned and now it’s time to enjoy the present moment and make *IT* worth every second. Happy PFF!

That’s a pretty card. My mother had a fox or mink she wore around her neck. I don’t know when she got it but I remember she still had it in the 1950s.

What did they call the first decade of the twentieth century?

My mother had a very similar fox stole. It scared me to death as a child….

I saw so many life changes in the last decade it’s somewhat amazing. City girl living in a large Victorian house in NJ, husband retiring, selling it all off and moving into a fifthwheel to travel the country, and now I’m a goat farmer in MT. And that’s just the major stuff.

WHEW!

Happy New Year to you and yours.

Hahahaa…I remember my Great Aunt Tilly wearing a fox similar to that one–only it was brown. I don’t recall being scared of it–only fascinated.

Thank you! Happy New Year and Happy PFF!

Sound advice for the new year about the dead foxes…I think I’ll pass though. Not so much into draping dead things around my neck, but thanks for thinking of me. :)

Happy New Year, Margo. Glad I rediscovered you this year…

Yes Ma’am! An extra helping of blackk eyed peas please..and collard greens…. heck let’s just march on down to the Cracker Barrel for a nice veggie platter! Nappy Yew Jear!

The new decade started on Friday. I hope it is a good one, can it get any worse though? Well, I suppose it is better for all our little foxy friends. Gads…that picture gave me the heebie jeebies. My Grandma had a mink stole, and I recall playing with it…like a PET!!! The horror of it all.
    I saw the Black Eyed Peas in concert…they are better on TV than in person. And I never eat peas.
    Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!

10. Land of shimp says

The fox looks concerned, but then, wouldn’t you be? I don’t know what we ought to call the aughts, but I’m reasonably glad to have them be safely in the past, and may we do better in the future.

Particularly 09 seemed an impossible year to actually accomplish any forward motion in a political, or societal sense.

So I’m with you, may we lighten up, may we move forward, may we have many reasons to look back and see how much we have changed for the better. By the way, it was the height of fashion in the 1930s, but then again, think of the financial climate of the times on the global stage. Perhaps people were just desperate to feel luckier than something. In which case? Well done.

11. Land of shimp says

What a stunning postcard! And the fox is definitely an interesting twist on vintage style. At the thrift store where I volunteer you can barely give those things away. Apparently, furry animals with heads still attached just aren’t in vogue right now… Wonder why? Hehehe…

I agree with you, it was not my favorite decade thus far… I hate that thing with the fox though, I am not 100% one of the crazies just yet with the animal right stuff, but I am very disgusted by the cruelty and all. How could they have worn that?? Geez.

Anyways, Hope this new decade improves things… I’m sick and tired of being sick and tired.